THE public are being urged to report instances of animal cruelty to the police in Croatia after a gang of “psychos” mutilated an adorable dog.
The disgusting abusers inserted a lit firework into the dog’s anus, which left him in agony for FOUR DAYS before he tragically died from his injuries.
The heinous crime was discovered by Croatian animal charity, Friends of the Animals (Prijatelji Zivotinja).
The pooch, named Kiro was unable to be saved by the charity’s team of vets.
Taking to scoial media, horrified users wrote: “This can only be carried out by psychos. The person should have done it to themselves”.
Another added: “They should find the culprit and do the same to him”.
In a statement, the charity said they were desperately appealing the public “to report all incidents of animal abuse, torture and negligence”.
The appeal comes as local authorities are still searching for the mindless criminals.
The charity is currently waging a campaign against the use of firecrackers in the region – not only as they can be used as horrific weapons of torture for helpless animals, but because of the distress caused to pets by their explosions.
A petition started by the organisation has been signed by more than 30,000 people.
They write: “Animal Friends are wondering how many human and animal sacrifices it takes to put the public interest first”.
Last year, two dogs in Paraguay were severely burnt after sick thugs “fed” them lit fireworks.
The incident came after local firefighters had warned about the misuse of fireworks over the festive period.
MOST READ IN WORLD NEWS
‘LEAST I CAN DO’
'World's hottest gran' offers saucy snaps to raise cash for Aussie fires
Corpse of footballer found being eaten by three sharks during hunt for diver
Woman’s nose 'bitten off by ex who either ate it or flushed it down toilet’
'BUBBLE WRAP MAN'
OAP covered in thousands of tumours is treated 'worse than stray animal'
One teacher dead and six injured after student, 11, opened fire in school
Iran 'has dolphins trained by Russia to blow up ships in suicide attacks'
According to media reports, the kids were playing with fireworks and firecrackers in the street near their homes.
One of them called the luckless dog over and put the firework in its mouth – with the fuse already lit.
The dog – whose teeth and mouth were seriously damaged – was then taken to the vets.