A BRIT died after “tripping over his suitcase” while holidaying in Thailand and falling through glass doors to the balcony, an inquest has heard.

Thai cops believe that Lincolnshire man Luke Goodere, 33, died from a fatal abdominal injury after being pierced with a shard of glass on the way to use the toilet.

NINTCHDBPICT000521532989 - Brit tourist, 33, dies after ‘tripping over his suitcase and smashing through glass doors after waking up for a wee in Thai hotel room’
Friends paid tribute to Luke Goodere, saying that he was a ‘warm, genuine guy’
Facebook
NINTCHDBPICT000246136733 - Brit tourist, 33, dies after ‘tripping over his suitcase and smashing through glass doors after waking up for a wee in Thai hotel room’
The Brit had been having a brief stay at Phi Phi Island in Thailand, when the fatal accident occurred
Alamy

Lincolnshire Live said that Luke, who grew up in Skegness, was visiting Phi Phi Island while returning to his home in Sydney, Australia.

The stopover followed a trip to see family in the UK – his first in two-and-a-half years.

According to a GoFundMe page set up to repatriate his body, Luke died on April 11 this year.

His family said on it that “a tragic event in Thailand has left this family utterly heartbroken and destroyed.

“Receiving a phone [call] that your child has passed away is one a mother should never have to answer.

“Luke would give his last penny to any friend if he was asked.”

Friends, including those in Australia, paid tribute to him being a “really nice, warm, genuine guy”, and “simply one of the best humans on the planet”.

At the Coroner’s Court in Lincoln, his inquest heard that after enjoying a festival with pals, Luke returned to his hotel.

TRIPPED OVER SUITCASE

A friend recalled that he was fast asleep at 4am, but he was found dead in the room four hours later.

The court was told that Luke might have got out of bed to use the toilet, but tripped over his suitcase on the floor and smashed through the glass doors.

A report from the Thai Police said he died after suffering a fatal abdominal injury.

Coroner’s officer Charlotte Alexander said: “It is believed that it was some time after 4am and he’s fallen through the glass doors to the balcony.

“His suitcase was between the bed and the door, so potentially he had tripped.”

INTERNAL BLEEDING

The cause of death was abdominal haemorrhage as a result of abdominal injury, according to the post-mortem.

Coroner Paul Smith concluded that Luke died as a result of the accident, adding: “The best evidence is that he was socialising at a festival.

“[Luke] had consumed some alcohol and he and his friends returned to his accommodation.

“He may or may not have had too much alcohol in his system – I make no findings in relation to that.

“He was seen fast asleep at 4am and the authorities were alerted four hours later at 8am.

“During the course of the night he got up from the bed and suffered an accidental fall and suffered an injury that led to his death.”

The Coroner pointed out that the information from Thailand had been “sparse”, yet “the police investigation appears to have excluded the possibility of third party involvement.

“There’s no suggestion that any criminal act was suspected or investigated.”

NINTCHDBPICT000521394114 - Brit tourist, 33, dies after ‘tripping over his suitcase and smashing through glass doors after waking up for a wee in Thai hotel room’
An inquest heard that Luke got up from the bed, fell and suffered an injury that led to his death in Thailand
MEN Media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *