BRITAIN’S US ambassador claimed Donald Trump scrapped a nuclear deal with Iran as an act of “diplomatic vandalism” to spite President Obama, according to ANOTHER bombshell leak.
Sir Kim Darroch told Downing Street in a secret memo revealed last night that Trump’s decision to pull the US out of the landmark agreement was for “personality reasons”.
Sir Kim Darroch claimed Donald Trump wanted to pull the US out of the Iran nuclear deal to spite Barrack Obama[/caption]
President Obama and Donald Trump. Sir Kim claimed that Trump’s decision to pull the US out of the Iran deal brokered by Obama was ‘diplomatic vandalism’[/caption]
In the top secret “diptel” – or diplomatic telegram – seen by the Mail On Sunday, Sir Kim suggested that the President wanted to ditch it because it had been agreed by his predecessor Barrack Obama.
Trump and Obama have had bad blood for years – with their rivalry reaching a head when Mr Trump furthered a conspiracy theory suggesting the then-President wasn’t born in the US.
Sir Kim also told London that a dysfunctional Trump White House lacked a “day-after” strategy following their withdrawal from the deal.
Agreed in 2015, the nuclear agreement involved a pledge from Iran to reduce its uranium enrichment programme in return for a loosening of economic sanctions.
But President Trump last year pulled the US out of the agreement – claiming Tehran was violating its obligations and suggesting the deal was too soft.
Deal or no deal – What was the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement and what has happened to it?
BROKERED by the Obama White House and signed by seven world powers, the Iran nuclear deal aimed to reduce the country's ability to produce nuclear weapons.
However, Donald Trump withdrew the US from the deal last year – branding it “horrible” and “one-sided”.
Iran has also pledged to breach the agreement until it receives the sanctions relief it says it is owed.
The deal was an agreement between the Islamic Republic and a group of world powers aimed at scrapping the Middle Eastern country’s nuclear weapons programme.
It saw Iran agree to eliminate its stockpile of medium-enriched uranium by 98 per cent.
Enriched uranium is a critical component for making nuclear weapons and in nuclear power stations and by curbing the amount Iran produce is a way to curb the number of weapons produced.
As part of the agreement, Iran also agreed to only enrich their uranium up to 3.67 per cent over the next 15 years and they agreed to reduce their gas centrifuges for 13 years.
Gas centrifuges are used to separate different types of uranium which allows specific types to then be used to manufacture nuclear weapons or generators.
Iranian nuclear facilities were limited to a single facility with only first-generation centrifuges for 10 years and other nuclear facilities had to be converted into other use.
In addition, they were barred from building any more heavy-water faculties – a type of nuclear reactor which uses heavy water (deuterium oxide) as a coolant to maintain temperatures in the reactor.
Also under the agreement, the International Atomic Energy Agency was granted regular access to all Iranian nuclear facilities to ensure Iran maintains the deal.
If Iran abided by the deal it was promised relief from the US, European Union, and the United Nations Security Council on all nuclear-related economic sanctions.
The agreement was reached on July 14, 2015, and the world powers signed it in Vienna.
The unearthed note is dated May 2018 and was sent just after then-Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson failed to convince Washington to stick with the Iran deal.
According to the leaked cable, Sir Kim told Boris: “The outcome illustrated the paradox of this White House.
“You got exceptional access, seeing everyone short of the president; but on the substance, the administration is set upon an act of diplomatic vandalism, seemingly for ideological and personality reasons – it was Obama’s deal.
“Moreover, they can’t articulate any ‘day-after’ strategy; and contacts with State Department this morning suggest no sort of plan for reaching out to partners and allies, whether in Europe or the region.”
The latest leak comes a week after similar secret cables revealed how he described the Trump administration as “inept” and “dysfunctional”.
President Trump hit back at the revelations – and in a searing Twitter tirade blasted Sir Kim as “not liked”.
In a shocking departure from international diplomacy, the president even called Theresa May’s handling of Brexit “a mess”.
Sir Kim later decided to quit – saying his position had become “impossible” following the leak.
THREAT TO PRESS FREEDOM
The latest batch of secret cables have been revealed despite a bizarre warning from Scotland Yard – which is investigating the initial breach.
Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said on Friday that journalists who released further details of the ambassador’s communications could be in breach of the Officials Secrets Act.
His comments were roundly condemned by politicians and senior journalists, who accused the Met of the kind of “heavy-handed” approach more usually associated with totalitarian regimes.
You got exceptional access, seeing everyone short of the president; but on the substance, the administration is set upon an act of diplomatic vandalism, seemingly for ideological and personality reasons – it was Obama’s deal
Sir Kim Darroch
PM-frontrunner Boris last night said prosecution “would amount to an infringement on press freedom and have a chilling effect on public debate”.
And his rival, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, said he would “defend to the hilt the right of the press to publish those leaks if they receive them and judge them to be in the public interest”.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock added: “The press must be free to publish what it believes to be in the public interest.”
Ex-Chancellor George Osborne described Mr Basu’s remarks as “very stupid and ill-advised”.
In a further statement on Saturday, Mr Basu insisted the Met had “no intention” of trying to prevent the publication of stories in the public interest.
He said the focus of the inquiry by the counter terrorism command – which investigates breaches of the OSA – was “clearly on identifying who was responsible for the leak”.
But he had been advised any further publication of the cables “now knowing they may be a breach of the OSA” could also constitute a criminal offence.
He added: “We know these documents and potentially others remain in circulation.
“We have a duty to prevent as well as detect crime, and the previous statement was intended to alert to the risk of breaching the OSA.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
MUM'S WORST NIGHTMARE
Mum in tears after finding daughter having sex with 4 men in drug den
Sick sex attackers grin on CCTV after gang raping teenage girl in car park
500 descend on UK's biggest naturist event for firewalking, silent disco and yoga
Winning Lotto numbers for Saturday July 13 2019, £10.7million jackpot
CAUGHT IN THE ACT
Husband flees after wife walks in on him 'raping nine-year-old girl'
SEX ON THE BEACH
Outrage as couple perform sex act in front of families on Hove beach
In response to the latest leak, a Foreign Office spokesman said: “A police inquiry into the totally unacceptable leak of this sensitive material has begun.
“The perpetrator should face the consequences of their actions.
“It’s not news that the US and UK differ in how to ensure Iran is never able to acquire a nuclear weapon; but this does underline that we do not shy away from talking about our differences and working together.”
Boris Johnson with Ivanka Trump in May 2018 during his failed attempt to persuade the US to stick with the Iran deal[/caption]
Then-Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson with Sir Kim Darrock – who quit as ambassador to the US last week[/caption]
The latest leaked memo from Sir Kim Darroch comes after he was forced to quit following revelations that he branded the Trump administration as ‘dysfunctional’[/caption]
President Obama helped broker the deal between Iran and the West that curbed its nuclear programme in return for sanctions relief[/caption]
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.